How fair is it for me to expect my teens to do things I don't do myself?

Hal Runkel
Hal Runkel on behalf of ScreamFree
Marriage & Family Therapy
When it comes to managing teens, you may feel like you're being unfair to expect them to do things you yourself don't do. But that's okay.

As a good general rule, the more you can close the gap between what you say and what you do, the better. This will lead to far less friction between you and your teens as you seek to set standards with them. They may still resist; they aren’t fully mature yet. But you’ll at least have eliminated the “legitimate double standard” accusation.

The bright side to the gap between how you act and how you expect your teens to act is that it forces you to focus on yourself and stretch higher than you otherwise might. And that’s a real win for you.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Deal with Toddler Tantrums
How to Deal with Toddler Tantrums
No question that tantrums (especially the public ones) can be some of the most frustrating times we have as parents and grandparents. The easiest thin...
How can I help my newborn's brain and body develop?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
You can help your newborn baby develop his or her brain and body by doing a variety of fun activitie...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Can I Get My Children to Eat More Vegetables?