How can I encourage one-on-one communication with my child?

Michele Borba
One-on-one communication enhances the parent-child relationship, boosts communication and allows parents to model those essential interpersonal social and emotional skills our tech-dependent kids so desperately need. To help encourage eye contact, face-to-face interaction and tuning into one another enforce one family rule: “Always look at the color of the talker’s eye.” Take time for those crucial informal chats! Discussion topics are endless if you’re needing some. A big hint -- use your children’s world: Clip interesting articles from the newspaper. Discuss the new movie reviews. Debate who is going to win that big game or the election (and who really should). Go online and peruse your kids’ school website to chat about those upcoming activities.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Best Gift Grandparents Can Give: Playtime
Feeling just a little bit guilty because you're having so much fun with your grandkids ... maybe more than you had with your own kids? All the joy, an...
How can I be a better parent than my own parents were?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
If you want to change the pattern in your family of origin, the fact that you are conscious and ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Healthy Foods Should I Keep in My Kitchen for My Family?