How can I discipline my children without spanking them?

The American Academy of Pediatrics cautions against spanking your child as a disciplinary method. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Tanya Altmann explain effective disciplinary techniques that don't involve physical punishment.
Bonnie Harris
Pediatrics
Spanking teaches children that when you are mad about something or want someone to do something your way, you hit them or use your power over them. It is only one form of "discipline" that promotes bullying in children. Discipline means to teach, coming from disciple. We tend to ignore setting the best conditions for learning, which we know to be engagement. Children learn best when they are part of the process, are given some power in decision making and feel good about themselves. When they behave inappropriately, it means they are having a problem not being a problem. When we address the core of their problem, not just the behavior, and use problem solving techniques that engage them in finding solutions, they learn and their behavior improves. That is true discipline.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Distracted Parenting
Distracted Parenting
With 1.4 billion smartphones floating around, it’s clear techno-intensity is making people drop out of conversations, relationships, and their own liv...
How can I teach my child to appreciate gifts during the holidays?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are ways to teach kids appreciation: Rehearse appreciation -- Teach your child how to acce...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Help Your Toddler Graduate From Crib to Bed