How can I help my daughter understand that dieting can be bad for her?

Robert DeVito
Fitness
I think it is important to note that not all "dieting" is bad or harmful. This truly depends on the methods utilized, the length of time the "diet" lasts and the focus of the "diet".

It may be beneficial to have a discussion with your daughter about the benefits of Eating Healthy, such as:
  • improved energy
  • increased vitality
  • feeling proud of yourself
  • doing good things for your body
Many people use the term "dieting" generically. If your daughter is following a sensible eating plan that incorporates whole grains, fruits and vegetables with plenty of variety and minimal restrictions then I would suggest that you congratulate her.

If, on the other hand, she is focused on dieting as a means for weight loss, it would be important to steer her in the direction of the benefits to changing habits for the long-term.

Depending on your daughter's age; she may understand the consequences of her actions, but battling marketing and hype that surrounds so many restrictive diets can be difficult. I believe that by being supportive and by getting involved in a healthier eating plan together you could lead by example. Here a a few more tips for a successful outcome:
  • schedule family dinner time 2-3 times per week
  • cook healthy, great tasting meals together
  • speak about a few of the unhealthy habits you are focused on changing and why.
  • have plenty of healthy foods and fruits and vegetables available for the entire family
  • purchase less "junk food"
  • create healthier dessert recipes together
Speaking to your daughter about the long-term effects of these beneficial habits and how they are better strategies than a restrictive diet plan will go far in aiding her in making better choices for the rest of her life.

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Kids Are Alright
The Kids Are Alright
When Peter Townsend sang The Kids Are Alright in 1965, he was correct in assuming they were basically okay, but clueless about how kids are when it co...
Why is it important to teach my child empathy?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Empathy is the moral virtue that helps children “identify with and feel other people’s concerns....
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Daphne Oz Shares How She Gets Her Daughter to Eat Veggies