How can I curb my child's tattling habit?

Michele Borba

I have simple behavior makeover tips to curb attention-getting tattlers.

First, teach your child the difference between tattling and reporting. Tattling is when you want to get someone in trouble. Reporting is when you want to keep someone out of trouble. Be clear: you do want to listen to your child's reporting. Once your child knows the difference, establish a firm no-tattling rule. "I'm not listening unless someone's in trouble." Or "Is this helpful or unhelpful news?" Stick to your no tattling rule. The number one reason kids tattle is for attention, so don't give it to them. It's a real friendship stopper.

Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
Picky Eaters: Preventing Food Wars
We've all seen kids who decide that the only thing worth eating is a chicken nugget. Or a bowl of mac and cheese. And that's it. Oh, the picky eater -...
How can I promote charity in my kids?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Be a charitable role model. Studies show that if parents are generous and giving, kids are likely to...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Viewers in Dr. Oz’s Social Experiment Explain Their Reactions