How can I keep my children safe and also encourage them to be independent?

Hal Runkel
Hal Runkel on behalf of ScreamFree
Marriage & Family Therapy
To keep kids safe but encourage them to be independent, two principles go hand-in-hand. The first is this: Kids need their space. This principle speaks to the idea of giving kids a degree of freedom so that they can have a sense of ownership over their lives. The other principle is: Kids need to know their place. This principle has to do with the boundaries and structure that parents must set.

Putting the two principles together calls parents to give their children some space, but with an understanding that the space takes place within the boundaries they set. “Space” without “Place” is chaos.

Continue Learning about Parenting

3 Steps to Better Parenting and Happier Kids
What do Haley Mills and Lindsay Lohan have in common? They both played 13-year-old twins—Ms. Mills in 1961 and Ms. Lohan in 1998—who schemed to get th...
How can I make grocery shopping fun for my children?
To make a trip to the supermarket a pleasant experience for everyone, try a couple of different stra...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Daphne Oz on Being a New Mom Again
Daphne Oz on Being a New Mom Again