How can I help my child wind down before bed?

Michele Borba
To help your child wind down before bed:
  • Create wind-down rituals -- Many kids are so wired from stress, exercising, studying or cramped schedules that it's tough for them to drift off when the lights go out. If your child needs time to wind-down time, add it into the nighttime schedule.
Those old rituals (taking a warm bath, writing in a journal, taking a shower, reading, sipping warm milk) do help prepare kids' bodies for a better night's sleep. The trick is to help your child discover what works for him, and then do the same ritual every night to help him relax.

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
Weird ways to consume alcohol have been popping up on social media and YouTube -- and are enough to make any college counselor or parent’s heart skip ...
How can I teach my child to appreciate gifts during the holidays?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are ways to teach kids appreciation: Rehearse appreciation -- Teach your child how to acce...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Factors Can Make It Difficult to Spend Quality Time with My Child?