How can I help my child understand how others feel?

Michele Borba
One way to help your child connect with the feelings of others is to have her imagine how the other person feels about a special situation.

Suppose your child just wrote a get-well card to her Grandma. Use the moment to help her recognize her grandmother’s reaction when she receives the card by pretending she’s the other person. “Imagine you’re Grandma right now. You walk to the mailbox, and when you open it, you find this letter. How will you feel?”

You later can expand the imagination game to include people your child has not personally met: “Imagine you’re a new student, and you’re walking into a brand new school and don’t know anyone. How will you feel?”

Asking often, “How would you feel?” helps kids understand the feelings and needs of other people.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...
Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
You can help your child understand how others feel by using age-appropriate scenarios or examples to facilitate the process for your child to experience and express how he would feel in those specific circumstances, thereby developing an understanding empathy for others’ experience and feelings.

Continue Learning about Parenting

5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
The Cowboy called Forgetful Jones is a Sesame Street character who can’t even remember he needs his horse to take a ride around his ranch. That’s cute...
When is a good time to talk to my child?
Dinnertime is a great time to have family discussions with your children on topics that can affect e...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How to Keep Your Kids Safe Online
How to Keep Your Kids Safe Online