How can I get my child back on a sleep routine for the school year?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
You’ll want to start getting them adjusted to the new sleep schedule early, so they’re not shocked on the first day. It can be tough to just force them to go to bed earlier, so focus on the mornings at first. Wake them up 15 to 30 minutes earlier every morning for several days until they’re used to their school-day wake-up time. They’ll be sleepy at night, and this will help them accept the earlier bedtime.

To make bedtime easier, establish a good, consistent sleep routine:
  • Depending on the child’s age, this could include a bath, reading a story and then lights out, for example.
  • Turn off movies and TV before the bedtime routine, and keep all kinds of screens (TV, computer, tablet, phone) out of your child’s bedroom.
  • And make sure they get plenty of physical activity during the day. 
Children’s sleep needs depend on their age. For elementary-school kids, the recommendation is 10 to 11 hours each night. Tweens need about 9 to 10 hours, and teens 8 to 9.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Baby Talk: How to Talk to Your Children
Baby Talk: How to Talk to Your Children
Sometimes it's easy to say very little or just stick to short phrases with young kids because most can't do much talking anyway. But everything you're...
How can I tell if my child is gifted?
When it comes to solving a new puzzle, playing a game, or doing homework, does your child do any of ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
The Monkey “Ice Cream” Everyone Will Love