How can I keep my child from getting sick during a trip overseas?

Taking a trip with your children, especially overseas, means upping your vigilance. A child’s immune system is still developing, so it’s okay to be a bit fanatical about germs -- especially in countries where hygiene standards might be less than perfect. Make regular and frequent stops to wash hands, especially in airports and at tourist attractions. Use only bottled water for drinking, tooth brushing, and mixing formula. Load up on alcohol-based hand sanitizers. Pack prepackaged snacks for your children. While local fresh fruit may look healthy, I recommend eating only fruit with thick skin that needs to be peeled, such as bananas, oranges, and melons. Avoid other kinds of fruit, which might have been washed in iffy water or not at all.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Strategies to Make Surgery Easier for Your Child
Surgery can scare the heck out of kids, just as it can scare adults. These four strategies can reduce fear and ease the journey for both you and your ...
How can I help my child adjust to a new home?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are ways to help your child adapt to moving to a new home: Celebrate new beginningsFind a spe...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?