How do I teach my child to say no to peers?

Michele Borba
Ask your child to choose phrases he is most comfortable using with peers. “No” can be said alone: “No!” It can also be followed by a reason: “No, it’s just not my style.” “No thanks. My parents would kill me.” “No, I don’t feel like doing that.” “No, I don’t want to.” “No. I have to get home and I’m already late.” The child could suggest an alternative: “No. Let’s think of something else.” “Nope. How bout we go to the skate park instead?”

The key is that a child must practice saying no with a firm voice and strong body language again and again until he can do so comfortably with peers. Provide that practice!

Push-over kids usually stand with heads down, shoulders slumped, arms and knees quivering, and eyes downcast. So even if he says “no” to his friends, his body sends a far different message and his words will have little credibility. So it’s crucial to teach your child assertive body posture: hold your head high, shoulders slightly back, look your friend in the eye, and use a confident, firm tone of voice.

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
When your child is in the hospital, it helps to think of the key staff members as new friends who can play a critical role in your child's well-being....
How can I raise my kids to be kind-hearted?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
One approach is to be a good role model. For example, if you role model kind-hearted behavior such a...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?