How should I help my child practice her social skills?

Michele Borba
Just telling your child about the social skill is not enough. Your child needs to try out the skill with other children. Without the practice session your child will never be able to feel comfortable using the new friendship making skill out there in the real world. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you help your child:
  • Research at Stanford University finds that the best kids for your child to practice with are peers she doesn't already know, those who are younger or those less skilled. Remember, your child will feel awkward trying anything new with kids he knows.
  • So look for a younger cousin, the kid next door, the kid at the park. Once he practices (and practices and practices) your child will be able to use the skill with his own peer group.
  • Keep the practice session short. Don't overwhelm.
  • Keep the session fun -- this isn't meant to be a tutoring session like learning math facts!
  • Stand back at a comfortable distance to give your child comfort.
  • If your child is having problems in the group, offer suggestions, but only privately never in front of other kids.
  • Make sure you practice the sessions at home.
  • Get the other family members involved!

Continue Learning about Parenting

Parental Negativity Can Cause Childhood Obesity
President Richard Nixon’s VP, Spiro Agnew, called investigative journalists “nattering nabobs of negativism.” But it was the VP who showed up in the n...
How can I tell if my child is gifted?
When it comes to solving a new puzzle, playing a game, or doing homework, does your child do any of ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Are Driving Distractions for Teens that Are Likely to Cause an Accident?