How can I help my child stay positive during a tragedy in the news?

Michele Borba
Expose your child to the wonderful simple gestures of love and hope that people do for one another during a tragedy. Talk about the heroes -- the bystanders -- the paramedics -- the doctors! Find those stories in the newspaper and share them.

Ask your child to watch for little actions of kindness they see others do and report them at the dinner table from now own. Many families call those "Good News Reports." It's so important to assure your children that there's more to the world than threats and fear and hate.

Your actions can make a big difference in helping to send them that message. Let's be the change we want our children to become.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Late Night Text Talk Causing Kids' Sleep Problems
Cell phones and computers . . . we love ‘em (most of the time). We can keep in touch with our spouses and kids, no matter what. If we're not 100% sure...
How can I reduce the risk of my child misbehaving in public?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
While there is no guarantee, we can use a few techniques that minimize kid meltdowns and help ma...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Fighting Over an Overweight Child
Fighting Over an Overweight Child