How can I help my child stay positive during a tragedy in the news?

Michele Borba
Expose your child to the wonderful simple gestures of love and hope that people do for one another during a tragedy. Talk about the heroes -- the bystanders -- the paramedics -- the doctors! Find those stories in the newspaper and share them.

Ask your child to watch for little actions of kindness they see others do and report them at the dinner table from now own. Many families call those "Good News Reports." It's so important to assure your children that there's more to the world than threats and fear and hate.

Your actions can make a big difference in helping to send them that message. Let's be the change we want our children to become.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
Reality Bites in Kids’ Fast Food Meals
When Eddie (John C. Reilly) from the animated hit film Sing croons, “Can I get a Happy Meal with big nuggets?” and Johnny (Taron Egerton) the gorilla ...
How can I know if I'm guilty of helicopter parenting?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Helicopter parenting is the term given to mothers and fathers who hover around their children and in...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Oz Reveals Tomika’s Car Makeover
Dr. Oz Reveals Tomika’s Car Makeover