How should I let my child play and move around during an airplane flight?

Erik Fisher
Create an area where your child can move during a flight. You don't have to keep them tethered to their seat, and you don't want to let them wander the plane. Let them know their boundary and have them stick to it. Some kids cannot sit in their seat for an entire flight, and if you expect them to, you are setting all of you up for failure. Give your kids a little space to be kids, but put limits around it. If they want to stand or move a little, show them their area to move around in when the seatbelt light is off. If it is time to sit when the seat belt light is on and they do not want to, have a consequence in place. If your kids get upset and cry or scream, you have to be willing to weather this storm so that they understand the limits of their behavior. Keep in mind that you are setting the standard not only for this flight, but for all future flights.

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
6 Tips on Hospital Etiquette
When your child is in the hospital, it helps to think of the key staff members as new friends who can play a critical role in your child's well-being....
How can I help a child who has sensory integration issues?
Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhDDr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
I don’t know about you, but I certainly have my own sensory preferences. If there’s a lot of backgro...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?