How should I allow my child to interact with another passenger on a plane?

Erik Fisher
Don't expect a friendly passenger to baby-sit your child the entire flight. There are many passengers who enjoy kids and will talk with them and play peek-a-boo for a few minutes, but they don't want to spend their flight with your kids. The hard part is finding the balance. Some parents are almost militant about not letting their kids talk to or play with passengers, because some don't trust others or feel afraid of upsetting fellow passengers. So ask the passenger if they mind your child interacting with them for a few minutes. You can usually glean their feelings from their response or body language. Put a cap on your child's play time with other passengers so as to not over extend their welcome. It also helps your kids learn limits and boundaries. If they want to play later with the passenger, just ask the passenger again.

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
How can I get my kids to do household chores?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Years ago my girlfriend Cindy shared with me her parenting secrets to get her kids to do household c...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Is the Importance of Social Media in Healthcare Today?