How can I help my child deal with tragic events in the news?

As a parent, I can understand the urge to shield our children from the effects of the real world. However, because we live in an information-driven society, it’s impossible to shield them from all bad news, as many kids get their information from outside the home. Here are some tips from the  NYU Child Study Center for helping your child process information about tragic events and feel safe:
  • Limit your children’s exposure to television coverage. Repeated exposure to the same event can worsen the stress -- especially for children. When talking about the tragedy to other adults, be cognizant of children who may be listening. Try to be present when older children are watching news coverage so you can listen to their reactions and concerns.
  • Maintain your usual routine, as familiarity brings comfort and helps children feel safe and in control. Keep mealtimes and bedtimes consistent, and explain any needed changes to any routines. You may want to drive them to school instead of letting them walk or spend more time at home with them. That’s okay, as long as those modifications are appropriate for you and your children.
  • If your child asks questions about the event, try to be confident about your thoughts regarding the tragedy, and above all, be honest and try not to hide information. Hiding information causes children to be mistrustful rather than comforted.
  • Model appropriate coping behavior. Remember that you must find a way to process the tragedy for yourself as well. You should acknowledge upsetting feelings without minimizing them, but also discuss ways to manage concerns. Provide an environment for ongoing conversations; talking about being afraid doesn’t make a person more afraid.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Talk to Your Kids About Tragic Events
In recent years, people all over the world have been assailed by images of tragedy, and the horrific mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada, brings catast...
How do I know if unschooling is right for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Not every child learns the same way, and not every child thrives in public school (private, char...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Oz Discusses the Concussion Epidemic