How can I tell if my child is affected by a tragedy in the news?

If you start seeing regression, no matter the age level of the child, you should emphasize safety and make sure that your child is not overly exposed to information that could make them regress in that way.
Michele Borba
The events of a tragedy affect children differently. The truth is we don't know how our child will handle a tough event. So watch your child's face and body language.

A change in a child's "normal" behavior is always a clue. For instance, a change in sleep, nightmares, tummy aches, headaches, inability to focus, more jittery, acting out, suddenly clingy, doesn't want to leave you, changes eating habits. Look also for more subtle cues: a pounding heart, a quivering chin, "bigger eyes."

Continue Learning about Parenting

3 Steps to Better Parenting and Happier Kids
What do Haley Mills and Lindsay Lohan have in common? They both played 13-year-old twins—Ms. Mills in 1961 and Ms. Lohan in 1998—who schemed to get th...
What questions should I ask a prospective babysitter?
Your best source for a dependable and qualified sitter is other parents. Once you’ve compiled a list...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?
Why Should My Child Eat Healthy Fats?