How can I change my child's intolerant attitude?

Michele Borba

Here is a behavior makeover to nurture tolerance in our children.

Encourage your child to look for what he has in common with others instead of differences. "Now let's try to think of ways you're the same."

As a family tune into the way you talk about people or groups. The secret is to listen for any sweeping categorical comment like "You always.." "They never.." Chances are what follows is a stereotype which are the seeds of intolerance. The household rule is for another family member to gently remind the speaker by saying, "Check that."

For example suppose your child says "Jocks are stupid"

You respond: Check that! Does that apply to every player on your team?

Checking generalities and stereotypes is an important part of ending prejudice and helping our kids become more tolerant and accepting. Remember, hatred is learned, but so too is sensitivity and tolerance.

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Help Your Child Handle Pain
How to Help Your Child Handle Pain
It's a bad idea to fib about or downplay the possibility of pain your child may experience when unpleasant tests or procedures need to be done. After ...
How do I handle raising twins or multiple babies?
I recommend the National Organization of Mothers of Twins Clubs for parents raising twins or mul...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Oz Discusses the Concussion Epidemic