How can I teach my child to be kind?

Michele Borba
Here are some parenting practices that help teach your child to be kind:
  • Take time to tell and show kids how to be kind -- never assume they have that knowledge.
  • Kids don't learn how to be kind from a textbook but from doing kind deeds.
  • Encourage your child to lend a hand so he or she will understand the power of "doing good."
  • The best way to teach kids any virtue is not through our lectures but through our example.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Safe Weight Loss for Teens—How to Help Kids Lose Pounds and Inches
Q: My daughter is 13 and weighs 238 pounds. She started packing on the pounds at age 9. I am at a loss as to how to help her. -- Beverly via e-mail A...
How can I help my child be less anxious about new situations?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
It’s normal for a child to be nervous in a new situation. Your role is to help him work through ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Heidi Helps Tomika Clean and Organize Her Minivan