How can I motivate my child?

Motivation comes in different forms for different people.  Children are apt to take their cues from their parents, so if you have a healthy approach toward exercise and wellness, there is a greater likelihood is that your child will follow suit.  Institute a new Saturday morning bike riding ritual, put on some music and dance together or encourage your child to join you when you walk the dog.  Promote a positive environment where moving and staying active is the norm in your house, and your child will not want to miss out on the fun!

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

Set reachable goals to encourage a child. When your child sees that he can actually reach a pre-set goal, this works wonders in keeping him motivated. Make the goals set for the child age-appropriate so that they can easily be attained. Setting the goals too high will cause the child to become frustrated, become discouraged and give up.

Encourage the child constantly. This area can never be overdone if looked at from this perspective: If your child knows that he will receive praise for his efforts or achievements, he is more likely to try harder.

Reinforce your child’s confidence level by telling him often that he can achieve his goals, whether they are large or small. This form of motivation applies well in sports-related activities. Constant encouragement to "hit the ball, you can do it," will eventually result in them actually hitting it!

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
How can I help my daughter understand that dieting can be bad for her?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
I think it is important to note that not all "dieting" is bad or harmful. This truly depends on the ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Factors Can Make It Difficult to Spend Quality Time with My Child?