How can I avoid yelling at my children?

Lynne Kenney
Here’s how to communicate with your child without yelling:

1) Get close to your child, establish eye contact at his/her level and tell him/her exactly what he needs to do.

“Joey, it is time to take a bath.”

2) Speak slowly, kindly and clearly. Do not ask your child with a questioning tone. Be clear that this is a command.

3) Tell your child what will happen while they are doing the activity.

“Joey, while you bathe, Mommy will read you a book, which book would you like for your bath today?”
For older children, “While you clean up, I’ll get your homework packet out for you.” “We can work on it together.”

4) Tell your child what will happen when they are done. “After your bath, we’ll build a castle.” “After your bath, we’ll eat dinner.”
There is really no need to yell at your children, if you are yelling, get back to basics with clear expectations, clear commands and specific instructions.

If your child is resistant, get him to collaborate with you before you make the command. “Joey, after Sponge Bob it’s time for a bath, do you want to go ahead and take your bath first or will you be ready when Sponge Bob is over?” “Okay, we have a plan. Bath after Sponge Bob.” “I know you’ll do as agreed.”

If you meet negativity draw the boundary. “If you do not do as you agreed, there will be no more TV tonight.” “That will be your choice.”

Continue Learning about Parenting

Medication Questions: Why Pediatricians Go Off-Label
If pediatricians prescribed only drugs approved for kids, we'd have a lot of sick kids. So it's extremely common for doctors to prescribe medications ...
How can I help my child stay positive during a tragedy in the news?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Expose your child to the wonderful simple gestures of love and hope that people do for one another d...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Susan Lucci Juggled Work and Supporting Her Family