How do I keep my guns safe from children?

It is also important fact to remember that children are curious by nature. Parents should be careful not to frequently talk about household weapons (avoiding sensationalism of gun ownership) and weapon location within the home in their child's presence. Ideally, with straight talk about gun safety, your child will be deterred from looking for weapons when they find an opportune time to do so. However, parents must be even more responsible by ensuring that weapons are inaccessible to their children who may on a whim decide to ignore parental instructions. In many incidents involving accidental shootings carried out by children, parents are in shock and disbelief at their child’s acquisition of the weapon.

Continue Learning about Parenting

5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
5 Tips for Boosting a Child’s Memory
The Cowboy called Forgetful Jones is a Sesame Street character who can’t even remember he needs his horse to take a ride around his ranch. That’s cute...
How can I avoid yelling at my children?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Here’s how to communicate with your child without yelling: 1) Get close to your child, establish ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
How Artificial Food Colors Affect Children