How can I help my child develop new skills?

Lynne Kenney
First, talk it out (before the storm). One of the most effective ways you can help build skills is by simply engaging your child in a discussion about what works and what doesn’t in different situations. The key here is to initiate that discussion while your child is calm, before the tantrum or storm erupts. Parents often wish to talk with their children about conflicts or challenges during the conflict. That is about the worst time to talk with your child about his behavior. Kids can’t problem solve well when they are totally wound up, and parents get too frustrated. Always introduce new ideas when your child is calm and rested.

Then, create alternatives. When it is time for your child to exhibit a new skill set, provide her with alternative strategies or activities she can put into place in order to transition with comfort and ease.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Pain and Fever Reducers: Which Is Right for Your Child?
Which pain reliever do you reach for when your child has a fever or an earache or a headache? There's a good chance it's the same one your parents gav...
How can I model good listening for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Kids can’t learn to be good listeners if they don’t have good models to copy. So make sure you s...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Why Is It Important to Have a Positive Body Image?