What can I do to help my child be less ambivalent?

Lynne Kenney
If you want your child to be less ambivalent:

1. Work on becoming more consistent with your child.

2. Be clear with your child about their schedule and yours. When are you available to your child, what will you do when you are together?

3. Be on time. Ambivalent children do not trust people to do what they say.

4. Ambivalent children respond well to planning and preparation. They are more confident when they know what is next.

5. Help your child know that you are dependable and reliable. You want them to attach to you first, then to others. You are their primary attachment relationship. What they learn about relationships they learn from you.

6. Read your child’s cues and talk with them about their wants and needs.

7. Help your child to observe their own behavior and the behavior of those around them. Notice the behavior, feelings and cues of children at the playground and on the sporting field. Your child will feel more confident understanding their social surroundings.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Disciplining Children: How to Give a Time-Out
We've found -- and the data support -- that a time-out is the most effective approach for discipline. It gives both the child and the parent a chance ...
How can I help my child cope with back-to-school anxiety?
The best way to help your child cope with back-to-school anxiety is by being available to listen to ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Help a Perfectionist Child Who Is Easily Frustrated?