How can I help a child who is angry about a new sibling?

For most women, a combination of counseling and short-term antidepressant medication makes all the difference in treating postpartum depression (PPD). If you don’t want to try medications, ask your therapist about starting with counseling first to see if that is enough; often, it is. Also make sure to ask about the importance of getting adequate sleep, exercise, and good nutrition. Many studies show that these factors can help a lot! New moms can ask their OB/GYN, family physician, clergy, or friends for a referral to a psychotherapist who can help moms suffering from PPD.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Pain and Fever Reducers: Which Is Right for Your Child?
Which pain reliever do you reach for when your child has a fever or an earache or a headache? There's a good chance it's the same one your parents gav...
How can I help my middle child feel more important?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Not only do middle kids pick up on which sibling is the parental favorite, but researchers after...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood
Rob Lowe Opens Up About Fatherhood