How do I create healthy school habits for my child?

School can be stressful for some kids. Find out how to make it stress-free as Dr. Oz explains in this video.

Create healthy school habits starting with the very first day of school with these simple and easy tips:

• Start you children off with a nutrient dense breakfast. Studies prove that children who eat a breakfast of complex carbohydrates and protein have more focus and concentration for learning.
  • Pack lunch instead of buying school lunches and have the kids help. Including the kids in the task will not only be a lesson on making healthy choices but will give them a sense of accomplishment. 
  • Provide a healthy snack upon their arrival home from school. Before your kids have a chance to raid the pantry, set out on the kitchen table a variety of after school snacks; popcorn, fruit, crackers, yogurt, cottage cheese, granola and cheese sticks are just a few of the healthy choices. 
  • Sleep. Kids need sleep and lots of it. Unless there's an event, make sure your children go to bed at an appropriate hour every night. Sleep increase the immune system and increase energy.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Stop the Spread of Bullying
How to Stop the Spread of Bullying
In 1906 in order to sell his Square Deal, Republican president Teddy Roosevelt used what was called his Bully Pulpit to convince folks that projects l...
What steps can I take to reduce my kids' greediness?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Have you noticed that we seem to have a lot of greedy kids these days? If so, you’re not alone. The ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Heidi Describes Why She Made Over Her Minivan