How can I get my kids to do what I ask?

Michele Borba
Too much information can exceed kids' attention spans and confuse them.

Make sure you tell your child exactly what you want him to do. Use declarative statements. “Please make your bed before you go outside.” Or: “You need to get ready to go to school now.”

Use the Ten Second Rule: If you can’t say it in less than ten seconds, you’re saying too much (for most children’s attention spans). Limit!

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Kids Are Alright
The Kids Are Alright
When Peter Townsend sang The Kids Are Alright in 1965, he was correct in assuming they were basically okay, but clueless about how kids are when it co...
What should I do if my child chooses bad friends?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If you're worried about the kids your child is hanging around, you'd not alone. "Bad friends" is a c...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Susan Lucci on Her Grandson’s Cerebral Palsy