How can giving my child time to finish a task help him listen better?

Michele Borba
Interrupting an involved child can lead to resistance. So if you see your child is really engrossed in something legitimate (her homework, texting his friend about homework, his Lego construction), have some flexibility. Wait until you see your child is a little less engaged in the task. Then say your request. Just ensure that your child doesn’t take advantage of the situation. (If he appears legitimately engrossed in an activity, give a time limit: “I need your attention in a minute, please.”

Continue Learning about Parenting

3 Steps to Better Parenting and Happier Kids
What do Haley Mills and Lindsay Lohan have in common? They both played 13-year-old twins—Ms. Mills in 1961 and Ms. Lohan in 1998—who schemed to get th...
How can I keep my marriage happy when our kids take up so much of our time?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
Did you notice that you said your kids “take so much of our time”? Let’s rephrase that: You are givi...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
The Motivation Behind Hit YouTube Series “Fat Dad, Fat Kid”