How do I familiarize my babysitter with my child and home safety?

Tips for Familiarizing a New Babysitter with Child Safety and Your Home Safety/First Aid:

Ask if the babysitter knows infant/child CPR and first aid. Remind the babysitter that infants should not be placed on an adult bed of any kind. Remind the babysitter to place the baby on her/his back to sleep. Be sure that the babysitter knows the signs of illness in an infant including: changes in skin color, sweating, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea. Show the babysitter where the fire extinguishers are kept, and explain how they are used. Be sure to show the babysitter where the first aid supplies are kept. Remind the babysitter to keep all balloons or plastic items away from the baby. Tell the babysitter that children should never be left alone in the bathtub. The sitter should always bring along the children should she or he need to leave the room, such as to answer the telephone or the door bell. Remind the babysitter to keep the bathroom door closed and the toilet seat and lid down when not in use.

Familiarity with Your House:

Be sure to give the babysitter a tour of the house. Ensure that all windows have been closed and that the babysitter knows to keep them closed. Show the babysitter how to operate your child safety gates and where they go. Show the babysitter where the flashlights are located. Make sure that you have put away all sharp items including scissors, knives, and any other objects that can cause injury.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Parenting

How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
How to Keep Your Teen Driver Safe
When 23-year-old singer-songwriter James Taylor starred in the 1971 drag-racing movie Two Lane Blacktop his character loved speeding down the highway....
What should I do if I think my child needs therapy?
If you decide your child needs help, the first step is to talk to your pediatrician or family doctor...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Daphne Oz Shares How She Gets Her Daughter to Eat Veggies