How can I encourage my kids to be generous?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Generosity starts in your own home, so encourage your children to choose toys and books they’d like to donate to disadvantaged children. Also, sit down together and have them designate a portion of their allowance—10 percent is a good number—to give away to the cause. That can be hard for some kids, but if you agree to contribute a dollar for every 25 cents they contribute (or whatever your budget will allow), you’ll help them over the hump. Afterwards, show them how their money was spent – on groceries, clothes, or whatever the case may be.

Continue Learning about Parenting

No More Homework!
No More Homework!
I mean, best news ever, right? I have no doubt that it wasn’t just the students celebrating when Texas teacher Brandy Young told her second graders th...
Should I worry if my child is playing too many video games?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are red flags that may signal that video games are a negative influence on a child: Peer re...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Are Three Parenting Personalities?
What Are Three Parenting Personalities?