What should I do if I misbehave as a parent?

Lynne Kenney
There are times when parents make poor choices as well. If, as a parent, you are in a grumpy mood and take it out on your children, you can accept responsibility for your behavior, apologize and repair the relationship with a one-on-one activity. When you use a mean tone or forget your manners, repeat what you did with a better word choice or tone of voice so that you model positive change for your children. You may say to your child, “Let’s have a do-over,” as you correct your own behavior. That means you said or did something that you didn’t mean, or used a tone of voice that was not loving, and now you would like to try again. Some parents think this is showing weakness, but it’s not. You are showing that you walk the walk, can be counted on to take responsibility for your actions, and expect your children to do the same.
Renee Ross
Social Work
Recognize your mistake;think what you could have done differently; and forgive yourself for your behavior...and move on. Parenting is probably one of the most difficult jobs anyone can undertake. However, we all start out new and none  of us are instant experts. Good parenting takes time and it is not always the "one" hat that parents wear. Life can quickly get "cluttered" with many other responsibilities. Therefore, learn to schedule time; organize and delegate when you can. Seek support and look for mentors and individuals you feel have good parenting skills. Read when you can.... "Oprah" always has good tips. Learn and Enjoy

Continue Learning about Parenting

Pediatric Emergencies: 6 Commandments of ER Care
1. Stay Calm. If you freak out, so will your child. 2. If your child is unresponsive, call 9-1-1 and do the "ABC" check: Check the Airway to make ...
How can I remain calmer and reduce stress around my children?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Give Yourself a Time-Out. Stress comes right before anger and we usually have only seconds to stop t...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
The Dangers of Drinking Racing Fuel and Mountain Dew