How can lowering my voice help my child listen better?

Michele Borba
Nothing turns a kid off faster then yelling, so do the opposite: talk softer not louder. Teachers have used this strategy for years because it works.

Try whispering your request. It usually catches the kid off guard and he stops to listen. (For toddlers: whisper the direction to a teddy bear or the kitty. Nothing gets a little one’s attention faster!)

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Ways to Prevent Medication Errors at Home
1. Never give your child any kind of aspirin (not even baby aspirin, which is not for babies). I cannot stress this enough. Aspirin can cause Reye's s...
What are some things I can do to ease my anxiety about becoming a parent?
It is common to feel some anxiety over impending parenthood. A lot of women find that talking to oth...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Smart Discipline: Alternatives to Spanking Your Child