Should I let my boyfriend stay over if I have a teen daughter in the house?

Ellen Rome, MD
Pediatrics
The answer depends. Is it okay for the kid to sleep with their boyfriend? “Do as I say, not as I do”  is not a great strategy for those wishing to delay sexual activity in their teenager until they are older, married, etc. It is also a great setup for sexual abuse: one in four girls and one in six boys have been sexually abused by age 20, and an unrelated adult in the house can be a prime abuser.

Continue Learning about Parenting

No, You Shouldn’t Force Your Kids to Hug Anyone
In the world of #MeToo and accusations of sexual harassment, we should all take a hard look at the emotionally-charged issue of physical touch and con...
What reactions can I expect from kids if I implement a Screen Free Week?
Edward R. Christophersen, PhDEdward R. Christophersen, PhD
If you implement a screen-free week in your home you should expect the first reaction to be almost e...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Should You Reprimand Your Child for Health Issues?