How do I boost my child's moral courage?

Michele Borba
Here are three ways to boost moral courage but you must practice repeatedly with your child until he or she feels comfortable and confident using these techniques in the real world:

Teach assertive posture. Teach your kid to stand up for his beliefs by using confident, assertive posture: stand tall with feet slightly apart, head held high, and look the person straight in the eye.

Say no firmly. Stress that he must say his beliefs using a friendly, but determined voice. Then don’t give in. His job is not to try changing the other person’s mind, but to follow his beliefs.

Tell reasons why. Ask your child to give the person the reason for his stand. It helps strengthen his conviction: “Stop bullying him; it’s cruel.” Or “No, it’s illegal and wrong.”

Repeating the belief several times boosts assertiveness and helps your child not back down from his stand. Remember, in order to say no, a child needs to understand what to say no to. Without a solid inner belief as to what is wrong or right, it’s tough to have conviction. So go back to Tip #1 and start all over again.

Continue Learning about Parenting

4 Tips from the Pediatric ER
4 Tips from the Pediatric ER
Want insights from an emergency room (ER) insider? Listen to someone who's spent more than 10 years handling emergencies in several types of ERs: my o...
How do I keep my child safe while letting him take risks?
While you know that kids are at risk of severe injury from accidents, the number one cause of de...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule