Why should I avoid labeling my child as smart?

No matter what level of intellect your child has, we recommend that you be careful in how you label him. Kids who are told they are smart often don't take risks because they're afraid to fail. Kids who are celebrated for being willing to try -- regardless of their intellectual ability -- continue growing even if they fail periodically, without taking it personally. We see this in research circles when we look at children who are asked to solve extremely hard puzzles. Some kids get frustrated and quit when they can't figure them out, while others enjoy the process and challenge and ask for another, even if they failed to complete the previous puzzle.

By labeling your child, you actually take away a little bit of his control -- and, really, his destiny too. Another reason that it's as important for parents to praise a swing and a miss ("Good swing! Focus on the ball!") as it is to praise a home run.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Pain and Fever Reducers: Which Is Right for Your Child?
Which pain reliever do you reach for when your child has a fever or an earache or a headache? There's a good chance it's the same one your parents gav...
How should I teach my child to treat others with respect?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some parenting practices that help teach your child respect:Treat children respectfully s...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my child cope with fears?