As a parent, how can I help my child or teen solve a problem?

Karen Jackson, NP
Pediatric Nursing
When I help children and teenagers solve problems, I use what's called a strength-based approach. The first part of that really is looking at the child's strengths and what they do really well in their lives. We really concentrate on that. The second thing I do if they're having a problem is let them know that I am really concerned about them and the problem. The third thing I do is I get permission from them to talk about the problem, because that gives them the control to talk about the problem, and they tend to open up a little bit more. I think just making a statement like "Yes, I am concerned" opens that up. Instead of reprimanding the child, I think asking the question "Can we talk about this?" actually does give the parent control, because kids will open up if they feel like they have some control and that they will be able to have some say about what the answers are to the problem.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Help, My Kid Won't Stop Crying! How to Solve Temper Tantrums Now
If you have children, you’re probably all too familiar with temper tantrums: the crying, the kicking, the screaming. (Oh, my!) These emotional outburs...
Is it okay to let my child eat in front of the TV?
Don’t eat in front of the TV. It’s bad for everyone because it’s so easy to zone out in front of the...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
The Toxic Drink That Took These Teens’ Lives