At what age do kids know the difference between truth and lies?

Make your decisions based on what you know to be the truth of your child’s behavior, not what he “admits” to. If he protests that “it’s not true,” you can say, “Well, I know you wish it wasn’t true, but it was, so here’s the consequence.” Or one I used tonight, when my daughter said she already washed her hands, but I knew she hadn’t: “I know you want to be done washing your hands, but I didn’t see the scrubbing. Let’s try it again, please.” Don’t make him feel like a “liar” or a criminal for telling stories, but let him know that you as his parent do know the truth -- and will work on helping him understand what that means.//The most important issue here is to help your child think through tough situations, to help him make better decisions next time. Ask him about what happened, in a curious way, without getting upset. “You got mad at the other kid and ripped his paper? How come? What happened next? Maybe next time, try and ask him to stop touching your paper, so you won’t feel like you have to rip his picture.”

Continue Learning about Parenting

Top 5 Reasons Breakfast Is a Must for Kids
How many times have you heard "breakfast is the most important meal of the day"? Here's why, in terms of small fry. Kids who eat breakfast: Do bett...
How does unschooling differ from homeschooling?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Unschooling is not the same as homeschooling -- it’s really a subset of the homeschooling moveme...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Get My Children to Eat More Vegetables?