Why do teens sometimes act recklessly?

During the teen years, under the influence of massive new hormonal messages, as well as current needs and experiences, the teenager’s brain is being reshaped, and reconstructed. One part of the teen brain that is undeveloped until the mid-twenties is called the prefrontal cortex (PFC). This part of the brain, when fully developed, is in a constant dialogue with the emotional brain (the limbic brain). In the adult, the PFC and the limbic brain are in balance, each one inhibiting the other. So when an adult has an emotional reaction to being cut off by a speeding car, the PFC part of the brain says “Hey, stop, and think about your desire to go speeding after that car. You might get a ticket, you might cause an accident, your insurance rates will go up.” For the teen, however, the PFC is undeveloped, and the emotional brain (including the amygdala mentioned above) rules the moment, until the PFC is developed in the mid-twenties. The teen thinks: “This is going to be exciting!" if he thinks at all. Auto insurance companies figured this one out long ago.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

What can I do if I think my teenage daughter is hurting herself?
Armin BrottArmin Brott
If you think your daughter is hurting herself, the very first thing you need to do is get a health p...
What rules should I set to make sure my child is safe online?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Set clear family Internet ground rules based on safety, responsibility and respect. Know all family ...
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?