Why do high school students feel pressured to cheat?

Michele Borba
Most high school students consider cheating okay. According to a CNN poll of 4,500 high schoolers, around 75% engage in “serious cheating,” over half plagiarize directly from the Internet and about 50% believe that copying answers doesn’t even count as cheating. Such questionable ethics apparently stem directly from absurd competition, since grades mean the difference between getting into a dream school and a backup. To alleviate the mounting stress to constantly perform at the highest level, students turn toward cheating and compromising their own education as a solution.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Can sexy advertising messages harm my daughter?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Keep in mind that it isn’t just one advertisement or one commercial or one pair of sneakers that...
How can I help my teen develop healthy friendships?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Relationships are key to self-confidence during the teen years. While we often think of romantic...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?