Why do children and teens smoke?

Children and teens like to act as if they are someone special or dangerous. Smoking cigarettes, which is forbidden, is an act that they can engage in that meets the need to feel special. The rush of breaking the law and going against the rules and their parents wishes is addicting by itself. Smoking gets them noticed and gives them the attention that they crave.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

How can I monitor my child's text messages?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Text message content monitoring is not usually offered within parental control services due to confi...
How can I stop hovering and raise my kids to be self-reliant?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Researchers are seeing this phenomenon of “parental hovering” (aka micro-managing, over parenting or...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?