What should I do if my teen is having trouble fitting in at school?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
If you feel that your teen is having trouble fitting in, have an honest talk with him or her about how they view themselves and what they want out of their friends, school, and life in general. If your child seems to be having trouble making friends, help to get them involved in a new activity that will introduce them to other young people with the same interests. It's so important to emphasize all of their great qualities and let them know that they don't have to be the homecoming king or queen to be an amazing person.

Got a teen who's feeling left out? Watch this video featuring psychologist Dr. Jennifer Hartstein to learn an easy way to help her fit in.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Is it normal for my teen to listen to her friends rather than adults?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It's developmentally appropriate (normal, expected, and even healthy) for teens to look to their...
What kind of cell phone should I give my child?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
For kids aged between 8 and 10 years, consider a cell phone that's designed for children, such as te...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?