What are the goals of disciplinary action for teens?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
Disciplinary action has two goals: correction and prevention. Correction in that the teenager violating the rule will be made abundantly aware of his/her error; and prevention in that the teenager will reach a point where, in the process, the consequences far outweigh the benefits of the action so he/she will not continue the behavior. As a side benefit, siblings will profit from the example and better understand what is accepted as right and wrong.

Your teenager must be given an opportunity to improve. Continued violations should result in increasingly severe disciplinary action and a point will be reached where your teen will either realize the necessity to do the right thing or will assume a defensive, negative attitude, which could lead to the need for counseling.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

How do I help my teenager get home safely from a party?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Create “just in case” safety nets. We need to make sure our teens know what to do if they are in...
What kind of cell phone should I give my preteen?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
While there's no magic type of cell phone or even age to buy the first phone, it's a decision you'll...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?