What risky behaviors are linked to excessive text messaging among teens?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
A study released by the American Public Health Association in 2010 suggests that there is an apparent link between excessive messaging, referred to as "hyper-texting" (over 120 text messages a day) and risky behaviors like binge drinking, using drugs, fighting, and promiscuity. The study was conducted at twenty public high schools in the Cleveland area and based on more than 4,200 confidential surveys completed by the high school students of those schools.

The study also revealed that those teens who "hypertext" are more susceptible to peer pressure and also have permissive or absent parents. "If parents are monitoring their children's texting and social networking, they're probably monitoring other activities as well," said Dr. Scott Frank, the study's lead author. If your child sends over 3,600 text messages a month, I recommend that you take cell phone and social media monitoring seriously to eliminate any potential exposure to risky behaviors.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

What are the possible consequences of teen sexting?
Raychelle Cassada Lohmann, Online InfluencerRaychelle Cassada Lohmann, Online Influencer
There are emotional and legal consequences associated with sexting. Emotionally sexting can take a ...
Is it normal for my teen to listen to her friends rather than adults?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It's developmentally appropriate (normal, expected, and even healthy) for teens to look to their...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?