How hard should I push my teen to take AP classes?

Michele Borba
How hard you should push your teen into challenging AP classes is always a tough call. However, three things help you make the right decision:

Previous history: Take into account the child’s past grade in subject as well as the teacher or counselor recommendation. Do they feel your child is capable?

Kid’s view: Listen to the kid’s “why not” factor to help you determine if there is “just cause for not taking the class. Hear him out. There may be another reason besides “It’s too hard.”

Check your expectations: Ensure your expectations match your child’s actual abilities. Think of a rubber band: the right expectations stretch your child’s potential without snapping his spirit.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

How could my child benefit from blogging?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
The following are some benefits of blogging for children: 1. The Art of "Blogger-sation:" Blogs c...
What might a teen use her cell phone for other than to make phone calls?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
It's a fact that 75 percent of America's teens have cell phones and primarily use them to send text ...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule