What role can parents play in preventing teens from smoking?

J.Lucy Boyd
Epidemiology

Parents can begin by setting a good example themselves. Children of all ages do watch their parent's behavior more than they listen to their words. Tell teens about the dangers of smoking, including lung cancer and emphysema. Allow them to see people who can't catch their breath, or who are on oxygen due to smoking-related illness.

Explain that smoking is an addiction, and that once you begin, you may have great difficulty stopping. Don't make smokers out to be bad people. Treat smoking as a horrible choice, not a character issue.

Help develop your child's self-confidence so that he doesn't feel he needs to fit in with his peers, or smoke to appear "cool." A teen who feels good about himself is better able to say "no" when pressured. Develop his confidence by praising him about what he is good at and giving him opportunities to develop his strengths.

Some teens smoke to relieve pressure. If your teen seems to be under stress, look for ways to help him relax. Make sure his schedule isn't too heavy. Encourage him to discuss his problems with you by listening more than talking, and remaining nonjudgmental. Give him periods of time to "just be a kid" without overwhelming responsibilities, such as taking the family hiking or to a waterslide park.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Where can I find volunteer opportunities for my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Explore your neighborhood: Often the best projects are in your own backyard and research shows that ...
How can I help my child drive safely?
Even if you are confident in your child’s driving skills, you’ll want to keep a close eye on him dur...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?