How can a part-time job benefit my teenager?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
A job can teach skills and responsibility that will come in handy in college and the adult world beyond. It can make your child more confident and more autonomous. And that’s just the job itself. In addition, the extra cash creates opportunities to make decisions, to feel responsible, and to practice managing a budget—something many young people learn too little about too late (and plenty of adults never quite master ever).

A part-time job can require a student to manage his time more efficiently and become better organized. Recent studies indicate that the number of hours worked is the key. Students who work a reasonable amount (10-15 hours a week during the school year) actually earn higher grades than those who don’t work at all.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Why should I monitor my child's posts on YouTube?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Because YouTube only reviews content that's been reported, it could take time to get to an inappropr...
How can I counter the sexy messages my daughter gets from the media?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
How do we counter “too fast, too much, too sexy, too soon” media images? Here are a few ideas:“Up” y...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?