Is it normal for my teen to listen to her friends rather than adults?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
It's developmentally appropriate (normal, expected, and even healthy) for teens to look to their peer group more than adults and even family members for approval and guidance. Adults that tell teens what to do will not reach them. However, the same developmental stage that causes teens to ignore us helps them reach each other. As adolescents establish their own identity, they first create groups (cliques), which allows identity to be a multiple-choice rather than essay question. It is developmentally appropriate for teens to look, sound, and act like their peers. Teens can have a lot of influence over each other.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

What can I do to make sure my child has a safe prom night?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are things to consider for prom night (depending upon your teen and situation). 1. Reach o...
What are signs my child is in trouble online?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Watch for behaviors that are not typical for your child that could mean Internet troubles. Here are ...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?