How do I help my teenager get home safely from a party?

Michele Borba
Create “just in case” safety nets. We need to make sure our teens know what to do if they are in a tough situation and they can always turn to us as an “out.” You want your teen home safely.
  • Make a safety “what if” plan. Discuss with your teen about what to do if he finds himself in a situation where alcohol (or any other problem that he knows could be trouble) is present. Set up a secret code that he can use to text you. It will help him save face with his friends. No teen wants to make a phone call to a parent when a peer might be there to overhear. So tell your teen: “If you text ‘555′ I’m going to come and get you -- and whoever else needs a ride, ASAP. No lecture -- just a huge thank you that you called.”
  • Stress, you are available. He can call or text you at any time, and that you will be awake and available to come, without judgment.
  • Give the phone number and money for a cab. Give options!
Then don’t forget to remind them to enjoy their big night. Prom and graduations are once-in-a-lifetime experiences that every adolescent should enjoy -- and come home safely!

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Is it normal for my teen to listen to her friends rather than adults?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
It's developmentally appropriate (normal, expected, and even healthy) for teens to look to their...
How can I encourage my child to blog responsibly?
Erik FisherErik Fisher
As a parent, you can use the blogging experience as a teaching and talking point. Since you can'...
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?