How can I help my teen develop healthy friendships?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
Relationships are key to self-confidence during the teen years. While we often think of romantic relationships as causing the most difficulty, relationships with friends can be just as much trouble. Make sure that your teen is developing positive friendships, and ask to meet their friends and their friends' parents. If you feel that your teen is heading in the wrong direction, steer him or her toward more positive activities and friendships. Make sure that your teen is choosing friends for the right reasons -- because they enjoy each other's company or have shared interests, not because someone is "cool" or "popular."

How you communicate with your teen can go a long way toward helping her develop healthy friendships, says psychologist Dr. Jennifer Hartstein. Watch the video to learn more.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

Why do high school students feel pressured to cheat?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Most high school students consider cheating okay. According to a CNN poll of 4,500 high schooler...
Why should both parents be consistent when disciplining a teen?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
All parents within the household must agree on and be actively involved in the disciplinary process....
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
What Should I Know About My Teenager and Sex?