How can I help my teen act responsibly?

For the teen, one area of the brain that is undeveloped is called the prefrontal cortex (PFC) This part of the brain, when fully developed, is in a constant dialogue with the emotional brain (the limbic brain). In the adult, the PFC and the limbic brain are in balance, each one inhibiting the other.

One highly effective way for parents and teachers to help teens develop the PFC is to make sure they have some ‘skin in the game’, and to make them deal with the consequences of their actions. This takes some thinking ahead (a PFC function) on the part of the adults, about the new freedoms and responsibilities that their teen will have. In the case of driving, for example, it is useful if the parents prepare the pre-adolescent with the idea that they will have to save up some money to pay for a car, insurance, gas etc. If the teen ever gets a parking or speeding ticket, they need to know that they will pay for it. Letting the teen know this in advance, is in a sense, loaning the teen our frontal lobe functions.

Continue Learning about Parenting Teens

What can I do to make sure my child has a safe prom night?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are things to consider for prom night (depending upon your teen and situation). 1. Reach o...
Should I monitor my teenager's online behavior?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Monitoring your teenager's online presence can prevent consequences beyond Internet dangers like por...
How to Help Kids Get Back on a Normal Sleep Schedule
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?